Thursday, July 07, 2005

Remembering Sandman

So, here's an odd little story. On June 27th, I sent the following request to Eric (my husband):

Can you order "Cure for Pain" by Morphine from the library? Also, the movie "Secretary."

You see, we have this whole fancy online library network type system. You all probably have it, too. Instead of going to Blockbuster, we sign movies (and books and CDs) out of the library. They are free and you can borrow non-book media for up to a week (We never copy anything to our computer, though. No, no.). We give the library a generous donation every year in exchange for this. Anyway, I used to have "Cure for Pain" on cassette, but I never got the CD upgrade. It came in yesterday. The weird thing is, the anniversary of Mark Sandman's death was July 3rd (I randomly looked this up today.). That was Sunday. Somewhere between the request and the delivery. I've been experiencing all sorts of weird wacko things lately, and this is just one of them. It's all because of Elizabeth Montgomery!

I saw Morphine a few times. And I saw Mark in person about 2 months before he died. He passed me walking down the side stairs at AXIS, carrying a bouquet of roses that a fan had just given him. I was like: Hey, you're Mark Sandman. He didn't acknowledge me, but he looked so happy in that moment, I didn't care.


Quick Red Sox stuff (from Cubby, who is listening to EEI on the other side of the building):
Jay Payton was designated for assignment, on his way to being traded, don't know who's coming to town for him yet.
According to Gammons (who will be on in a little bit), Kevin Millar has asked to be traded and the Sox are trying to accommodate him. AND last but not least: Ramon Vazquez was traded to Cleveland for Alex Cora.


YIKES, reader.

And on the fun, happy side of life, KC emailed me with this information earlier today, too:

Tomorrow marks the opening of the show "...it's how you play the game!" at the Gallery Kayafas. Photographs of the immediate afterglow of the World Series victory on display with images by Mike Malyszko, Bill Chapman, James Dow, Lou Jones and Laura Wulf.

All the other galleries in the area will be having events as well.

Friday, July 8th
5.30 - 8.00 p.m.
Gallery Kayafas
450 Harrison Avenue
Boston (in the South End)
617.482.0411

Sounds like a great show, huh?

6 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Jere said...

My Morphine memory: Being at college in '93, travelling up to the Minne Apol,* and taking a pic of a telephone pole with a flier for a Morphine show on it.

*They call Minneapolis "The Mini Apple" out there. Terrible job.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Kim. Can you e-mail me when you get the chance? andrew12eight@yahoo.com. I'm moving back to Boston son, and might be looking for a publishing job, and I was hoping to pick your brain for options. Thanks.

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to leave that as a comment, by the way, but I couldn't find a contact e-mail address anywhere.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a good movie. Another hot Maggie, and James Spader is always a charmer.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

hey,
you're back. blog already, why dontcha? (just kidding, but i've missed you.)

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey. wonderin' what you and the hubby were up to this week/weekend. this is our week off, slummin' around town. give us a call?

--kc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home