Friday, September 02, 2005

bright (brīt) adj. Emitting or reflecting light readily or in large amounts; shining



I love starting the month off with a yellow highlighter. And having that little square represent the last in a series of 5 wins (big thanks to Olerud, the man who owned last night's game) makes it even better. We've started 2 other months with wins: May (against the Rangers) and August (against the Royals). So, in 6 months of baseball, we're split 3-3, yellow vs. blue highlighter (April, June and July all started with losses).

So far, my prediction of winning at least six out of seven in these 2 series (Devil Rays and Orioles, combined) has come true. It isn't really so much a prediction as a "we'd better win these games to pad our lead in the division race" feeling. I suppose you can call it a demand. And for once, these people are listening to me. To be safe, we probably ought to paint the calendar with one blue square, preferably 8/7. For strategic reasons, I think losing 1 right before the 3-game series against the Yankees will bring good luck and ripen us for a sweep. But, that's just me. All in all, September really should be an easy month. An inferno of squares, all melded together to form one, unified, raging yellow rectangle. Like a comet propelling itself into the playoffs.

10 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger Jere said...

Calendar fun: I still have my '03 W/L calendar, which I added a piece of paper to, for October. I always write W or L, and I never did write that final L. And my '04, with special extra big W's where necessary. This year, I stopped after I left my last job. I'm glad I can live vicariously through yours. Only I used the highlighter for games I have tickets to. Your method is more colorful.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Anonymous: not having the courage to leave your name is sad. Keeping calendars that track the wins and losses of the Red Sox over the course of the regular season is not. Obsessive, maybe. But hardly sad. And definitely not "sad" with an exclamation point.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

um, the date was unclear... did you mean you think our boys ought to lose on 9/8? You don't really mean that, do you?

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Jere said...

Yeah, terrible job, Anonymous. Keeping track of baseball is happy.

Thanks for havin' my back, Witchie.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Buca - You tell them!

Reb - I think I have to change my 8/7 loss preference. I am going to the game tonight and I don't want to witness a stinkeroo. Ok, ok, how about 8/12? That would mean winning 6 in a row. Which isn't impossible. We did it the 2nd week of August. And we won 8 in a row between July 26th and August 4th (granted the opponents were TB, KC and the twins, but still ...). See? This calendar deal is pretty handy!

Jere - No problem-o. I thought the stupid one word comment was aimed at my original entry, but whatever. WCSG doesn't like cowards.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the Sox win out except for Sept. 23-25, but would settle for the Sox winning one of those three if they win Sept. 9-11 and Sept. 30 to Oct. 2.

PD

P.S. It is time for all us AL fans to start rooting for Cleveland. The A's and Angels play each other too often.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Thanks, Taylor, for pointing out privately, that September is month #9. Not #8. Reb's subtle approach wasn't enough, unfortunately.

SO ... 9/12! (for the loss, that is)

And for the record ... in case any of you were wondering ... when you mix yellow and blue play doh ... you get green. Not brown. So much for all the money my parents spent on my college education. Blue + red = purple. Red + yellow = orange. BUT - Orange + blue (definitely) = brown. :)

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh. I didn't think I knew anything about colors you didn't.

How's this? The O's lose all three in the middle to the Sox but beat the Evil Empire 9/19-22 and 9/26-29!!!

I should have noted before that the A's and Angels, besides playing themselves, also play the Sox this month. It is too much to hope for the Wild Card coming from the West. Brad agrees. So rally around Cleveland to be playing in Fenway on Oct. 4.

PD

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Jere said...

I just thought 8/7 was some code I'd been missing, as I'm huge on knowing September is the ninth month, since my birthday is 9/8.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home