Wednesday, November 02, 2005

ESPN Take

An interesting article (Thanks, Taylor, for sending me the link).

I am lucky. I love my boss. He backs me up - in my presence and when I'm not around. I trust him, one hundred percent. And I appreciate him because I've had bosses that weren't so trustworthy.

The GM job is a tough one. Trusting your boss is not only invaluable, it's a critical success factor. Who wants to pour their entire being into a job, only to privately worry that your boss and his partners are planning to have you wacked? Or to do something that compromises your reputation?

Sometimes, I wonder if the key here is jealousy.

You were an aspiring young student at an ivy school
When I met you.
I picked you out, I shook you up, and turned you around
Turned you into someone new.
Now twelve years later on you've got the world at your feet
Success has been so easy for you.
But don't forget it's me who put you where you are now.
And I can put you back down too.


(Please don't tell me that dirtdog has already done this.)

3 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Jere said...

Nice use of "Don't You Want Me." It's an interesting theory. But that article is full of McAdam's opinions which, for some reaon, he's stating as fact. Theo said today his decision had nothing to do with the boob Shaughnessy's article, and that he and Larry do trust each other. I'm believing him, at least until he changes his story, if he does. We may have to wait thirty years for the autobiography to find out.

Also, I am allowed to socialize with people who don't believe him.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I, too, saw the press conference and if I had to speculate, I would say that Theo and Larry did, in fact, have a difficult relationship at times. Theo claimed that this job - from his standpoint - requires a person to be "all in." Blood, guts, everything. He said that the GM requires an environment in which he can believe in. Then, he gives us the ole "after careful consideration" line and follows it with "it wasn't the right decision for me." I think he was saying that the environment was not one that he could believe in, which leads me to speculate that trust was violated somewhere. Theo isn't going to outright throw anyone under the bus. It's not in his nature. You've got to admit, there was a big chunk of something left out during that press conference. I respect it, though, because I respect Theo. And I can't change his mind. So, I'm gonna move on.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Jere said...

Yeah, he did refuse to say what the exact reason was, then said that what he did say should give us the answer.

I hope other people share your "moving on" attitude. I certainly do. But I feel like there's just gonna be so much talk and dwelling on this and it's November 2nd. I don't want to end up burned out on the 2006 season before the calendar actually changes to 2006.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home