Monday, January 23, 2006

Crispy

How do I feel about this Coco deal? I am satisfied with it. His numbers aren't quite what Johnny's were last year (except for homers - Crisp had 6 more than Damon), but they are still good (.300 average last year with 16 homers, 69 RBIs and 15 stolen bases). Bear in mind, he's younger than Damon (which works in our favor), so his best work has probably not been done yet. Conveniently, he's a switch hitter. Also key - he's wicked cheap. I feel a little bad about having to give up Marte in the deal, but the hole was significant and you certainly aren't going to get something for nothing. Additionally, as far as I'm concerned, throwing in Shoppach was wise. No offense to any of you who thought but next year, really, Kelley is going to showcase his stuff! Frankly, I don't have the patience. His major league work was less than impressive. Long story, short: Don't let the door hit you, Shoppy.

There are a couple concerns with Coco:

1. He's got to make the adjustment to center from left. Not a major concern, but still.
2. He hasn't bat in the lead off position in a few years, and I guess his first experience with it was not very fruitful. He's older now, though, and he's got power hitters batting next, so this ought to help his production.

I agree with Andrew in terms of Alex Gonzalez. He's not really any better or worse than Alex Cora, so WTF? Seems like time and energy could be better spent on other things. Unless they know something we don't. Incidentally, I like having a guy who looks like Posada on our team. Now I can engage in a secret game of "Battle of the Floppy-Eared Wonders - Good vs. Evil" whenever we play the Yankees.



Speaking of looks, this is simply abominable:



His hair in the back is all weird and wispy. It reminds me of my old Barbie doll's hair after I got a little too ambitious with my safety scissors. His face suddenly got super wide, like the man in the moon. And don't get me started on the stupid turtleneck. I wonder what the hold up is on his number.

4 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to find Unfrozen Caveman Ball Player quite fetching in a stone-age sort of way. I have to agree with you, this is just gross. I'd even go so far as to say deeply disturbing.

But hey, at least you have a team, a ball park, and a crime lab in you city. Things could be worse....

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I still say that Loretta would be a much more logical lead off guy for '06. I mean, it's not even close.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Did Johnny's stylist feather the back of his head?

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Kim said...

[No internet access yesterday. Doh!]

Lyn - Indeed. If you go, they will build it.

Peter - At least Tito's got options. That's a good thing.

Rebecca! Holy moly! You've returned! So glad to have you back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home