Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Let's Hear it For the Boy



Poor Chris. 40 years young. That's only 6 years my senior, which scares me and forces me to contemplate my own mortality. However, this isn't about me. It's about Chris. While I did love him in Reservoir Dogs (ironically, I just purchased this on DVD 2 weeks ago), I will forever love his timeless performance in Footloose. All that hippin' and hoppin' and cloggin' around under the choreographical tutorage of rebel Kevin Bacon.

Incidentally, I often wonder what family gatherings were like over at the Penns. You've got Sean - brooding, jaded, smoky (though, I heard he quit). Then there's Chris - fat, awkward, jovial (Sorry if you're insulted because I wrote "jovial" as an assumption because of his weight. If I were heavy, I might accuse me of stereotyping). Lastly, there's Michael. Which also means Aimee (Mann, his wife). Both Michael and Aimee are introverted (I know this because I've seen them live, and it's one of the first things they tell you to explain the comedian the hire for commentary purposes - David Cross and Jack Black have both been on tour with them.) Madonna used to be in the family mix, once upon a time. Since then Robin Wright Penn (Princess Bride, Forrest Gump) has taken her place as Sean's wife. And don't forget Eileen Ryan, his mom, who was in Magnolia, I Am Sam and others. I just think it's got to be strange. Worthy of a reality tv special, I think. Holidays with the Penns. Or something like that. Except now, they couldn't do it, as they'd be missing one key member. Chris was my favorite - I've never been big on Sean. Sorry, Fast Time fans.

Hey, is anyone familiar with that place in the village called "Nice Guy Eddie's"? Do they still have all 4 members of KISS painted on the cinderblock outside?

7 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe about Chris Penn! Very sad. I read that Sean has gone into seclusion. I don't think he's the type of person you want to be around when he's really upset. I think poor Chris was always in Sean's shadow. I don't think he got enough credit.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, find it irritating that you couldn't (and can't) hear about Chris Penn without referencing Sean. (Although, it's nice that they do reference Michael, as I feel he's underated as an artist....) I bet at the family get together's it was Chris and Michael bagging on Sean about being so 'tightly wound' and then Sean getting pissed at them and storming out. Meanwhile, Robin, in the background, going on about "Wove....Twue Wove"....

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Mo (I'm guessing it's you. After 17 years of reading your writing, I think I'm pretty good at it) - he never did get much credit. Have you seen recent pics of him? Yowza. I'm willing to bet that his new movie, The Adventures of Mahk, the Retahdid Shahk (filmed mainly in the New England Aquarium) will immortalize him.

Steve - I'm sure you are right. I could totally see Sean getting all sensitive about the smallest stuff. Chris: "Hey Sean, examine your zipper, man!"
Sean: "Eat shit and die, fuckface! I'm leaving!"

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about let's hear it for the shahk as a title for the new movie? Give the shahk a hand!

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the Penns and am sorry to see that you chose this picture to display of Chris. Come on! "Do you remember, when you got your lucky break?" "You're looking back now and it seems like a mistake. Some things aren't ever gonna change!" "It's all the same." What's in your heart will never change! Cut the guy some slack and show a handsome picture from "At Close Range" or Vision Quest.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Kim said...

You don't think he looks handsome in R. Dogs? I think the acne was fake. You want to see an unflattering photo of Chris - just take a peek at his recent pics. Poor dude.

Which movie did the John Wait song appear in?

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That song came from Vision Quest. It was on the other night.. probably in honor of Chris. I used to run competatively and that movie rocked. RedSox Girl, I have to say now that I've seen some more recent pics, you chose a good one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home