Friday, January 20, 2006

Whew!

[Forward to today's entry:

I've been physically sick, as you know, and I've been going through an extraordinary emotional time in my life. The emotional part has been on-going since July of last year and will likely take up to two years to completely heal from. Because of this, sometimes it's hard to write about things like the Red Sox with such intense fervor. I know that what I am going through is a true priority, a far more meaningful thing. On the other hand, distractions like work and sports can help maintain a level of normalcy and sanity. WIthout these things, a person could obsess and project and lose their marbles altogether. I'm not writing this to gather pity, but for some reason, I felt that I needed to get it out, as I seem to have fallen on some "darker than the normal dark days" coincident with the happy news of Theo's return. This is a Red Sox blog, though, and I've tried very hard to maintain the mission of the blog - kooky Sox writing - despite the deep sadness of my personal situation. That said, I will plow on with my Theo commentary.]

Seems like opinions are flying around like mad since the news broke yesterday. Writers are drunk on a cocktail of speculation, elation, ambivalence, and contentment. It has forced the news-starved media into a tailspin - let's hope the results aren't like that of my stomach contents on Tuesday, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I harbor no apprehensiveness. The news gives me comfort. As long as Theo is working for my team, giving it the 100 percent he always has, and engaging in the general "making of shit happen," I am happy. Put it this way, I would rather see a front office with Theo than a front office without Theo (or one in which he's acting like the great Wizard of Oz - in control, but hiding behind a curtain). I understand the tentativeness of some writers (Tony My-Massarotti-Does-185, for example) and if I were a Boston sportswriter, I would exercise extreme caution, too, considering that the wrong news slipped out initially two and a half months ago, burning a lot of people. I don't think I would go so far as pointing out that Theo's return is evidence that there is a lack of backbone on Yawkey Way. Perhaps Henry's initial reaction to the news of his departure may have indicated this, but he's back now, and that's all that matters. Can't we just be happy about it? Incidentally, I find it to be ironic that while Massarotti complained about the situation on EEI this morning, it's this very kind of "drama" that pays his mortgage.

Welcome back, my friend. Now get to work!



[Totally unrelated - Wikipedia scares me.



It's got too much information. Do you ever get the sense that it knows things about you and if you plug in the right key words, it'll spit back your entire life story with hot links to your friends and family and personal interests? Creepy!]

4 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I hope things on the personal level are not more than you can handle. Baseball is a game, a small part of what we call life. I hope life in the future is as good as it can be for you.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Whatever it is, I hope you hold up under it. Baseball may be a great big nothing, in the grand scheme of things, but on the other hand some people would argue it's no more or less of a pointless construct than religion (as I slide down the slippery road to hell). Sometimes it'll cheer you up, sometimes it'll upset you, but either way it's sometimes nice to have something else, externally, to be so invested in.

I HOPE YOU'RE OK AND ALSO YAY THEO IS WHAT I AM SAYING.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger twitch124 said...

Get well soon, if that's an appropriate construction given the circumstances. I hope things get better, physically and emotionally.

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Thanks for the kind words of support, Peter, Sam, and Twitch. I'm a lemonade/silver lining type of person. I should come out on the other side wiser and stronger.

In the meantime, there will be lots of baseball to absorb the huge expanse of free time I have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home