Thursday, February 16, 2006

Kooky Youky



Just look at him. I know I've said it before, but I am so pleased that the RS organization has recognized the talent and hustle of Kevin Youkilis and have pretty much given him a starting role at 1st base. He reported to Spring Training early - he's so darned eager. I just love him. He's a true ballplayer to me. I don't know what that means or how I arrived at that, but I guess, in this world of over-the-top celebrity style players and off-the-field drama and greediness, I find great comfort in people like Kevin. He's patient. He's got the skills to pay the bills. He's humble. He loves being on the Red Sox. And this is his year to prove himself. I can't wait.

Chris Snow's recent article on Youkilis revealed the following, which I found entertaining. A little rookie mistake.

Olerud also taught Youkilis one ''how not to" lesson.

Olerud, during his rookie season, was playing first when Kirby Puckett reached base. Puckett asked Olerud a question. Olerud answered him. Puckett, pretending not to hear, asked, ''What did you say?" Olerud began to repeat himself when the pitcher stepped off and whizzed an attempted pickoff throw by Olerud, with Puckett taking third. ''It went right by Olerud's head," Youkilis recalled. ''The media asked what happened. Olerud said, 'Oh my, total rookie mistake.' Kirby was asked. Kirby said, 'I don't know what you're talking about. I never asked him anything.' "


Amusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home