Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A New Perspective

If players continue to be moved and shuffled around like songs on an iPod, then I'm taking my fandom in the opposite direction. I think I'm going to make a game out of this. I'm going to call it:



Think: Costanza. Ya wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts!

My next pick for the chopping block is Gabe Kaplar. But not yet. They're going to wait until he's totally rehabbed and back on the roster. Since everyone else seems to have a back up and the pressure is going to be on Tito to give Pena as much playing time as possible (so they can prove their theory about him, even though he'll probably strike out like crazy and frustrate the hell out of us), Gabe is going to struggle for opportunities to play. That's when it will be determined that he's useless for the Sox and he'll be sent away along with his brownie cookie recipe. So, there you go. Kaplar is the next Red Sox casualty. Who do YOU think will be the next to go? I should make up a chart or something. Like the chopping block bracket. We could have a contest, with prizes and everything!

Oh, and don't worry, I am totally able to separate the satirical business of baseball from the game of baseball. Satirical business is the ugly side of the game. But it's a business like any other, so please forgive me for needing to indulge.



Wheel of "See You Later"? Wheel of "Sorry, Please Pack it Up"? Still working on a title.

6 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Noooooooooo!!!!!! NOT GABE THE BABE! If this is a bet, I'll take you on it. theo will trade KY before he sends Kapler packing.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I guess we could turn it into a bet of sorts. My pick is Gabe, simply because I know it would break my heart.

So, you're saying Youk. Good guess. That one would be a knife turner, too. Excellent choice.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I don't see a role for Gabe right now when he gets back. With Youk, only a trade would make him expendable. Nothing will happen for a while, or I'd be surprised.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Kim said...

So, Peter, are you saying that Gabe is next to get the axe?

Trotter is always another possibility. His name comes and goes. That would be a horrible heartbreaker. He's like Red Sox loyalty. Lots of people think he's overrated, but I think he's fairly clutch when he's healthy. Also, I just like the guy.

I'd love to see Meredith go, but they'll keep him around a good long time since I think he sucks ass. Or maybe they'll trade him for Brian Rose, the most talentless pitcher to ever grace the mound.

Graffy isn't long for Boston, either. He's such a capable player, but I don't think there's a lot of opportunity for him.

Abe Alvarez may or may not be around much longer. That's my wildcard pick. Not sure why, I just don't have a good feeling there. Even though he's a lefty.

I should make a wheel of fortune type of structure for this. Maybe I could make a virtual one.

And definitely a cash prize. Ten dollars/person for the pool? Too much?

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I hope not. He is a true trooper! There may be NO axes if the club performs as nicely as we all hope. We know Graffie is on the way out, simply because there is no position or slot for him to display his above average, pop in the bat talents.
And Trot. A free agent next year who I hope has a tremendous season this year. We could always count on his go for break defense in the tough right field of Fenway. There are right fields, and there is right field at Fenway, a sun blocked odd angle large space. Wily Joe has some defensive learning to do, but I think his future is SO bright. Thanks. This is such a great pace.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Graffy is a no-brainer "don't let the door hit you" casualty, coming up fast. He'll no doubt make another team happy. With the exception of his little Buckner moment at the end of '05, he was reliable. I like him quite a bit.

I hope Riske gets canned, too. Especially after last night. Not sure what the Sox saw in this kid. He is bad news.

Trot's getting older and I think there's just no denying it. The Sox aren't going to want to extend a very long contract to him when he becomes a free agent. I'll miss him desperately if he isn't with us in '07, but I will understand if he needs to shop around for the best possible deal for him and Mrs. Trotter. As long as it isn't with the Yankees.

If Pena keeps hitting the ball like he did last night, then he is going to quickly become a fan favorite. Won't ever make me forget Bronson, though. *sniff*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home