Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar the Grouch

I watched the end of the Oscars last night. The program just doesn't have enough to engage me from beginning to end. Unless I was at an Oscar Party and me and all the guests could make fun of the actors and their silly costumes and projected self importance. I think I could be more respectful of the Oscars if there weren't already so many darned awards ceremonies for the same movies. The Golden Globes, the People's Choice, etc. Once upon a time, the red carpet was a really special thing. I see it all the time now. And the pre- and post- award ceremonies are overdone and predictable, at best.

Here's where I get a little EddieVeddor/Michael Stipe (forgive me, please). I just can't help but think that the people who truly deserve recognition in this country go without it, at least on this scale. I'm talking about doctors, nurses, garbage men/women, hotel maids, educators, and civil rights activists. The list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I love film. I enjoy the whole "being transported" to another time and another place. I appreciate convincing performances that force us to alter our perspectives. But, often times, you can get the same experiences from reading a powerful book or going to see a phenomenal art exhibit, or talking to an "ordinary" person about their "ordinary" life. Everyone has a story. Maybe we ought to start tuning into the stories of our friends and families and coworkers. At least you can interact with a story-teller. You can peel away the layers of their stories and appreciate their histories and make striking or subtle connections to your own story.

I guess what I would ultimately like to see is "The Ordinary People Awards" where a fireman who rescued a new born baby is up for the same award as an animal rights investigator who shut down a huge and despicable puppy farm. It should be national and televised the same way as the Oscars. Regular folks can waltz down the carpet in their Old Navy dresses or whatever the heck they please. Instead of asking questions about their outfits, the reporters can ask them about their latest humanitarian efforts or how their flights were.

I don't know. I guess I'm just tired of doling out enormous praise to people who study lines and - oh, excuse me - understand "the fine art and craft of acting." (Even the schleps behind the scenes who are lucky enough to win for something always get cut off by the orchestra or whatever. Ever notice that? It's like, if your name isn't on a marquee, you don't matter. Regardless of all your hard work.)

In baseball news, I guess Flaherty had a pooper of a time catching Wake. It is still undecided who is going to do this on a regular basis. Whoever it is, there's going to be the usual knuckler adjustment period. It could very well wind up being Flaherty. Still undetermined.

1 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I part majored (with business) in drama in college, and I found it easy to be in front of people being someone the script called for, not my inner me. And yeah, they do act like their lives are sacred because of some ability to memorize and look good. I still feel the same way about being in public, all these years later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home