Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Warning: More Johnny Damon Stuff (Don't Read if You're Sick of It)

I've been reading a lot in the papers and hearing a lot on the radio about the great debate over booing and cheering. Even this morning, the day after Johnny's chilly reception. I never really thought that this necessitated so much planning. To me, it's a no-brainer. You're a Yankee now, you get a boo. Since when did we start making all sorts of exceptions?

I would have preferred the silent treatment, or maybe the 180 stance, where everyone just gets up and turns backwards. But, it was totally impractical, I know.

Johnny, if baseball is such a "business," why are you expecting adoration? You want us to turn off the "business" aspect of it when it comes to loving you, but turn it back on again when we think of your motivation to leave us? You chose money over love. You chose the enemy. We made none of these choices for you. Some of us sat back and mentally pleaded with the fates during your short-lived free agency, hoping and praying that an agreement would be reached with our club. But, then the unthinkable happened. And for me, it felt like a huge fucking smack upside my head. You drew blood, and then, in the off season, you insulted me with your crocodile tears and poured salt on the wound with all of your smack talk in New York. And now you want me to come to the park with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and Godiva fucking chocolates in the other?

You want us to believe that the Sox weren't showing you any respect because they weren't wooing you and rolling out the red carpet while digging deep into their pockets and begging you with fistfuls of dollars and lint. Do you honestly think that Steinbrenner was that obsessed with you and ordered his cronies to pull out all the stops to sign you? Truth be told, Steinbrenner can throw more money your way because he has more money to throw. He's got waste money in his reserve so that he's protected if your shoulder gives or you don't deliver as expected. The Sox don't have this luxury. And they gave you a handsome deal anyway. On top of it, your jackass agent didn't give the Sox an opportunity to counteroffer. So, basically, all the doors were slammed shut and you went ahead and took the Yankee deal (1) for the cash and (2) for spite. Because big important Johnny Damon was not fussed over by a front office that was trying to keep its head above water in the absence of a general manager.

I know why you're so hurt over this. It's a classic case of being sore when things don't go your way. Sort of like the way I reacted to your signing with them. One of the main differences, though, is I am not rich and therefore, I am used to not getting my way a lot. You live in a fantasy land of muscles and boobs and expensive cars and puppies and kittens and little birdies. I guess you'll have to be a man now, Johnny, and deal with the scorn of the people who once loved you.

6 Comments:

At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WCSG, Johnny, deserved everything he got except for the fools who applauded him, he hurt and betrayed me like I have never been betrayed before, and to listen to how accepted he is by Yankee fans, let them have him!!! I am glad they put money on the field while he was in center field, to show him he was only the type that could be wooed by money, instead of being a loyal player to his loyal fans, I couldn't help but be embarresed for him while he tried to act like nothing had gone down with the Red Sox Players, you will never ever be deserving of my caring or loyalty again, you are where you and your superficial wife wanted to be, learn to accept that we do not adore you. Jijax AKA MOM PS I cried for you once but will not waste my time with tears for you ever again.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I know, Ma, I was on the other end of the phone when you were crying. This was before he started lipping off and swaggering all over NYC like he was King Shit. I remember thinking, like you, that something terrible had happened with front office, that it couldn't possibly be his fault. But, that's simply ridiculous. No one put a gun to his head. He wanted more money. He got it from Icarus AKA Steinbrenner. End of story. Now he's just another faceless, void of personality Yankee.

I bet that locker room is good times. All I can picture is Damon cranking up the hip hop, dancing and nudging his new friends, hollaring around like an asshole and Jeter being like, "Uh, that's not how we roll" while Posada slowly turns the music off.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I think Johnny will get over his disappointment. After all, the fool has fifty two million reasons to be able to do so. Awww, I feel so sorry for him. What bothered me (a little) was that the "boo Johnny" stuff was concealing the real reason these games are played-so we can beat the crap out of them.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Don't worry, Peter. These teams will play eachother 18 more times this year. It was just this initial "Damon Returns" series that caused the emotional response. After a few games, he will be treated like every other Yankee coming into Fenway Park.

And, why, Peter, do you feel sorry for him? In an unpresedented move, he went staright to the other side of the rivalry for no other reason than a few extra million dollars on top of the heaps of millions of dollars he already had. Sorry for him?! Yeah, I'm sorry for him. I'm sorry that he's naive enough to think that he can do something like this, then come back to Fenway and still get showered with love. He made his bed, Peter. No you. Not me. He did. Maybe the fake wife helped a little.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I was being facetious to a huge degree. I thought the "awwww" and "so" gave it away. Nice post, WCG.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sort of like, Wah wah wah, love me. Pleeeeese......Johnny go home, home to the New Yorkers who love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home