Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Wind = Taken Out of Sails

Santana was incredibly dominant tonight. Huge props to Jason for getting a homer off that guy. We had a couple of would-be rallies, including a bunt attempt by Coco (hey, why the heck not?) but it wasn't until the 12th that the Sox got their engine cranked up. The weak pitching by the Twins assisted. The Sox squeaked into the lead on a single up the middle (nicely stunted by the Twins' defense) by Alex Gonzalez (Side bar: I had dinner with my buddies Mr. and Mrs. Joey tonight and he came up in discussion. Mr. Joey is a big fan. I have to agree that he plays his position exceptionally well. No one is complaining, so this is a good sign.) Tavarez with his 2 seam fastball, fanned Mauer for out numero uno. Cuddyer (said Cud-die-er, though I want to say Cudd-ee-yah) was hit by a pitch. Morneau, batter number 3, came up to the plate and shot a (ground rule) double out to right center, bringing the Cud to 3rd. Tavarez intentionally walked Hunter to load the bases. Still one out. Kubel worked the count full. Then, then, then ... he smacked it good and knocked it out. Walk off grand salami.

Oof. I hate to see all that hard work just flushed down the toilet. Especially Curt and Papelbon's. Mainly Pap's, though.

On the plus side, my boy Trot got 2 key hits tonight. I feel like documenting all of his productivity and smearing it in the face of the anti-Trot types. Are they watching the same games as me? You know what they'd say, right? He's playing for a contract. Even if this is true, or partly true, are we supposed to discount all his contributions this year because of it?

6 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger The Couch Potato said...

Did we mention that Trot got those hits against a lefty? :-) My only complaints ever about Nixon were his inability to stay off the DL and his inconsistency at the plate. The latter I kind of blame on the Sox - he got tagged with the "can't hit lefties" phrase & was platooned from early on in his career, arguably never giving him a chance to develop that skill.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Trot has been great against lefties all year. Those who complain about his play, in tough Fenway right field and at the plate, will be the ones who miss him the most. I hope he's out there in right next year.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Not long ago, when Trot was out for a couple of games (forget why, earlier in the season), a reporter asked him about it and he said, "I guess I'm only known for my injuries." That's not true and so sad to think that he really feels this way. He's not as good at hitting left-handed pitching as say, Ortiz, but, yeah, if he got more play time in these situations, that might not be the case. I still think he's clutch.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Yess

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jenks said...

I know this is probably Trot's last year. Knowing is not going to stop me from crying loudly and unashamedly when he goes.

I barely batted an eye when Nomar split, but my heart cannot stand the thought of Trot in another uniform.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Kim said...

He'll probably get signed by the Dodgers. That's where all the old Sox players go these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home