Friday, August 25, 2006

Ahhhhhhhh!

Seems that everyone is up-in-arms over this article at forbes.com. I saw it profiled on the evening news tonight and I was thoroughly stunned.

The author, evidently, feels that career women are lousy wives. To set himself off from his ancient-minded opinion, he used "research" to prove his point. An excerpt:

... if many social scientists are to be believed, you run a higher risk of having a rocky marriage. While everyone knows that marriage can be stressful, recent studies have found professional women are more likely to get divorced, more likely to cheat, less likely to have children, and, if they do have kids, they are more likely to be unhappy about it. A recent study in Social Forces, a research journal, found that women--even those with a "feminist" outlook--are happier when their husband is the primary breadwinner.

The article goes on and on about this supposed pervasive behavior amongst married career women. It's appalling. In my opinion, this guy is upset because more and more women are supposedly acting JUST LIKE MEN. (Please note that I am generalizing here.) I thought: Hmmm, here's a guy who prefers to be the cheating, uninterested breadwinner and is personally insulted that a woman could go out into the world and mirror his behavior. Of course, it's wrong to do regardless of your gender, but his narrow article is really dangerous. He must have known that he was stirring the pot. The response to this has been overwhelming. I read some of the message board stuff and could not believe how many ignorant chauvinistic pigs continue to share this country with me. One guy went on to pin non-American women against American women by suggesting that American women are all looked down upon, in our own country, by non-American women. We are all selfish and none of us knows how to please a man. Because, naturally, this is our main goal in life. Suppose you marry a man who, despite all you do to try and please him, ignores you and criticizes? Then, for an added bonus, he leaves evidence of his affair in your laundry and on your dining room table for you to innocently discover one day? What then? I guess that a woman without a career might stay if she can't support herself. But, oh no! If she has a career, she might leave!

This article has made me furious. Maybe it's because I'm just a selfish, unappreciative, American woman with a career. Where do I get off?

6 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not going to bother reading it, it's not worth getting upset about. it's nice that the writer has an easy target to go after. it must be so much easier for him to write about that than important things like say war, crimes against humanity and famine. who wants to hear about that when you could complain about american working women?

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Kim said...

God forbid talk about something factual and relevant. This is America, ya know.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Ha Ha...well said...and good reading here. Hope you're well! Last night was tough.

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about this on the news. I laughed. I alone AM the breadwinner in my household. Where does that fit into his article? As a matter of fact, I have a few other friends that I know this is true, ONLY the wife works, ONLY the wife keeps the family afloat when the husband quits/looses/ or is between jobs.

This guy can roast in his own self-satisfied hell. If he wants a clean house, hire a maid. If he wants sex, a whore. And if he wants a jewel on his arm only when he needs one at company functions, he can hire a geisha.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe that there are still men out there that think some women can be happy ay home, not that there is anyhting wrong with that if that is what the woman prefers, however, I prefer to have a little stimulation in my life and feel that I am contributing to society, it also makes me a more interesting person a person with self worth, bringing in her own bacon and not having to rely on anyone to "take care of me". I thank God that I am able to take care of myself. Because you never know when you will need to depend only upon yourself.Jijaks

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you actually read the artical the guy said that according to statistics these things are true. This means that maybe they are. maybe women have a higher chance of divorce if they work. It does not say that all working women will divorce. he does not state the actual figures and these increases could be marginal. But even so dont make his comments false.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home