Tuesday, August 22, 2006

We're Awful, cont.

Well, that 5-game series most definitely sucked.

Some good things:

Schilling had a very strong outing on Sunday night.
Wells was also solid yesterday.
Manny and Papi are hitting.
Our collective confidence can still be put in Papelbon.
The number of games separating us from the Yankees is not a double digit.
Hinske is effective as Wily Mo's platoon buddy.
There is still over a month of regular season baseball to play.
Hansen, Van Buren and Seanez have been sent down.
A lot of money was raised for the Jimmy Fund.

The not good things:

Lester, Snyder, Lopez, and Tavarez aren't doing us any favors.
Jason and Tim are still on the disabled list.
What is going on with Mike Timlin?
Wily Mo can't hustle in the outfield for crap. Doesn't even try.
Manny's got some hamstring problem.

Here's what might make us more competitive:

Jason comes back and helps these young pitchers.
Tim comes back and reactivates our knuckleball weapon.
Wily Mo gets some coaching in the field.
Timlin gets his game back.
Wells and Schilling stay healthy.
Obtain a couple of renta-relievers.

I don't know about you, but I think this team is a sinking ship. Personally, it's starting to feel like the end of the '01 season for whatever reason. It's pretty hard to take that the Yankees, who have their fair share of injuries this season, stand an excellent chance of not only winning the division title, but by a lot. My prediction (and I hope I am wrong) is that we will end the regular season about 12.5 games back, if not more. We will be lucky to finish 3rd.

This doesn't mean that I am going to stop watching baseball. It simply means that I am going to watch it with a different goal. Instead of hoping to win, I am going to study the performances and make predictions about some of the possible off season moves. What freaking choice do I have?

4 Comments:

At 7:14 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

It's the best way to watch the Game:

I've done it this way for years;

Trust me; You'll be happier for it.

-Michael

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things are just not bad enough for the Sox to reach down to third in the division. On the other hand, a six-game lead over the Evil Rays is not that much when you have all of 10 home games in September, and they are all against Boston, New York and Minnesota.

PD

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Michael - Yeah, I guess at some point you have to separate yourself from things. If you want to keep your marbles.

PD - Do you really believe that? The Sox have Snyder going tonight against the Angels in their park. It's pathetic.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger BS Memorial said...

This post title made me feel a little bit better. It and "Fuckupdate"- I laughed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home